Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reflections from a BW

Wow it has been too long since I posted. I've heard that going private will do that to you.
I had such high hopes about Blogging last year and frankly I did pretty well 61 posts in 2009 as opposed to 29 in 2008. I did better, and then I died. Sounds like many goals in my life. Sigh...

My last post actually records more than it appears. The date Oct 8th was a big day. The night before (as most of you know) Brian was called as Bishop. Along with the call came a map of the new boundaries for the new 3rd Ward. Glancing at this map revealed that we did not know most of our new Ward. Early in the morning on the 8th I was lying in bed thinking about this new calling and how inadequate I felt. I started thinking about all the things a Bishops Wife (Uggh)should and should not do, wear, say etc... It was then that I decided to make our blog private. Not so that I could be exclusive, but so that the first impression of The Bishops family (Uggh) was not our naked children sliding across our floor, or the nice record of my kids screaming so loudly that the Elders felt they needed to stop and share a message about eternal families.

I'm not trying to put up a front, I'm just talking about first impressions. Could you imagine hearing who your new Bishop was, then doing a quick search to find his blog and bang there are his naked children. Nice.

Now this whole Bishop's Wife (BW) is very intimidating to me. The long Sunday hours, the week nights, even tithing settlement. All of that was a breeze for me. I have no problem supporting Brian in this calling. It's the BW title that is hard for me. Why you ask? Because any quick search on lds.org about BWs gives you a list of articles about how wonderful their BW is and how she does everything to help everyone. How she is so friendly and helpful, and always knows the right thing to say or do. Don't say that I'm wrong. Think about it, the last time your BW made a comment in Relief Society, didn't her comment hold more weight, didn't you ignore your baby for that one moment in class to really listen to what she said. (This is why I now sit on my hands at church). Look at your BW don't you just think she is this wonderful lady, this spiritual giant, someone you hope to be like? And I'm dorky Katy, trying my best to not have my daughter pull my skirt down in the hallway. Sigh...

I'm actually getting a whole lot better with all of this. 3 months in and I actually tell people my last name now. I hope they know that I have always been friendly and I'm not introducing myself so I can check up on them, or because I think they need a fellowshipper. I need friends too. I hope that I don't offend someone because I didn't sit by them or I forgot their name. I hope that people give me the benefit of the doubt. I hope that we will make some new real friendships in the ward despite the fact that we are in fact the Bishops Family.

I plan to back date a bunch of posts so anything between now and Oct 8th is posted today. I just had to get this off my chest, and now I can move foreword and backward in the blogging world again. Maybe I'll doulble my posts in 2010... We'll see no promises.

15 comments:

Amy said...

cute, cute cute. and, personally, seeing a bishop with a REAL family is always refreshing. (It makes me feel better when it wasn't ONLY my kids making the missionaries come over to tell about eternal families....) (you should have seen this happy eternal family tonight before bedtime..geez..) we love you guys.

Becca said...

Katy,

You are definitely not giving yourself enought credit. You are one of the friendliest, kindest people I know. You've always been one to say what I needed, even if that was saying nothing at all.

I agree with your comment about people's preconceived notions about the bishop's wife. I can't imagine how intimidating that must be. But get of your hands, girl! You have so much to offer the women in that ward. You are insightful and compassionate and fun and kind and REAL!

The only thing that would make you a better BW is if you had that title in a ward here in Colorado.

Love you!

The Ottleys said...

I just love you to pieces and wish you were here! Your Dad said now with Brian's new calling it would be at least 5 years. You'll do great as a BW and I'm sure Brian is doing an awesome job at Bishop!!!

Abbie said...

I love you, Katy! And I always find myself listening to your comments intently before you were a BW. You are amazing and one of the friendliest people I know. And you're REAL! I love that about you. You don't pretend that motherhood/life is sunshine and roses all the time, BUT you have an amazing attitude and really enjoy your kids. You make a great young bishop family! And I wish I were there to witness it!

PS I told Eli about Olivia's comment. And he said "Olivia lives far far away. And Thomas is far far away too. But maybe we will see them some day. I miss those kids." He's always calling his friends "kids." It makes me laugh.

PPS We're coming the last week of February! I'll email you with more details. We have to play for sure! FOR SURE! I'm so excited!!!

RaQuelle Willey said...

Love all your new posts! And appreciate this honest post. I sure love you! And truly look up to you in so many ways! BW is just another one of your many amazing titles.

runningfan said...

Good luck to you! I bet you're doing great. And I agree...get off your hands, girl! You have lots to offer.

Bethany said...

See, I was going to say the same thing as Abbie-you already HAVE that quality... we all already wanted to hear what you had to say before the BW thing.
Dang, now that I read through all of Abbie's comment, she stole all my stuff!
Katy, no one thinks/expects you to be perfect. And don't think for a second that when Heavenly Father asked Brian to be the bishop that he said, "Well, I really want Brian... but we'll just have to put up with Katy for the interim." Um, no. You have specific talents-no, you're not staid and matronly, and no one would expect you to be! But your cheerfulness, your willingness, your friendliness, your kindness and your testimony-that's the stuff that you bring as a bishop's wife.
And you want to know something else? People already DID look up to you, so being a bw doesn't change that. Like, perhaps, say, someone who thought about having a 3rd child, and then thought, "No, I couldn't handle that!" And then they thought to themselves, "Well, Katy Willey does it... she seems to stay sane... maybe I could be like Katy Willey..." So then this unnamed individual went ahead and had Leah, I mean, their baby, and realized, "Oh, this is WAY harder than Katy makes it look. Dang. I shouldn't have thought I could be quite like Katy Willey yet. I've got to work up to that."

Anyway. There. That's a long comment. But the bottom line is I just sure love you and respect you and have gads of faith in you as a "B.W."

Jessica said...

Ok, ditto on all the stuff everyone else said. Also, from the moment I met you when we moved here, I knew you were a very special person. You were so sweet to bring us food & directions, etc. I was so tired that morning & looked horrendous, but after you came, I knew that we would have at least 1 friend & that we would be ok. Sorry, I just don't think of you as the "bishops wife." You're not my bishops wife anyways! I'll always just think of you as my awesome friend!!!

amy k said...

Hate to burst your bubble but... you were destined to be a BW. And you are perfect for the job. You ARE helpful, super kind, sincere, friendly, and your faithfulness is to be admired. You have so much to offer everyone in our ward - young and old. You always have been like that. I look up to you so much and I appreciate your wonderful example. Keep being yourself and you will continue to help us all. I love ya, and I think you are amazing! :)

Rebecca said...

I still remember our first Sunday in Coppell and you definitely made us feel so welcome right from the get-go! Have I ever thanked you for that? Probably not, but thank you for that! It made a big difference to me! You have such a beautiful, warm, friendly smile.

I remember several times receiving callings that I felt inadequate for and the thing that made me feel better was when I remembered that the Lord knows me perfectly and he knows what I can and can't do and what is going on in my life. I am sure you will be blessed and that you will bless the lives of others in countless ways.

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Katy,
You are too funny. I always enjoy reading your blog. It makes me happy. And p.s., you already have all those qualities. I've always told Chad since the day I met you, "How is she always so happy? She's always got a smile on her face and she is so sweet. I need to be more like that!"
My only regret is that I didn't get to know you more before we left. You're awesome!

Keeping up with the Joneses? said...

Geez Katy - I wish you could see yourself the way the rest of us do! Hopefully all these positive comments - which are not being given just because we want to make you feel better - will give you even a glimmer of how much you're admired, respected, loved and appreciated by everyone who knows you. So get off your hands and let us hear from you!

By the way, I'm so glad you updated your blog - I've been missing you (yes, I know I see you every Sunday for 1.2 seconds) but it's not the same as reading about your life!

Reynolds Family said...

I can't think of anyone better to be a bishop's wife! And last time I checked, I think people like BW's who are more down to earth and real rather than perfect so you might have to pick up a bad habit or two :) Good luck-oh, your girls are just too adorable!

Mk said...

Katy,
you're such a doll- and you're doing a lovely job as our BW...btw i would stop pay attention more to your comments even before your hubby got the call;)

Keep up the good work. We all adore you!

Emma said...

Wow I guess It's been a while since I've checked my private blogs. I can understand what you mean. I'm glad you are feeling more comfortable with Brian's calling, and what that means for you. I bet you are a great help to others.
I don't think Bishop's wives need to be perfect. When we were in Houston we got know the Bishop and his wife and family pretty well. She had 4 young children at the time. (They since have had #5) Seeing her in an everyday setting was very comforting to me. She is a wonderful bishop's wife, friendly and helpful and a wonderful mother who had to constantly take their youngest son out of the chapel.