Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Goliath

Have you read this talk? It is one of my favorites. President Monson gave it back in 1987. He tells the story of David who faced Goliath in the Valley of Elah. Goliath wore heavy brass armor and was armed with a spear and sword, David on the other hand came before him with only a staff, sling and five smooth stones.
Appearing ill prepared for the battle David exclaimed “thou comest to me with a spear and with a shield; but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defiled.”
We all know what happened, David slew Goliath and save the Israelites that day. But President Monson’s point was that if their had not been a Goliath, David would not have become the man that he was.
He further talks about the Goliaths in our lives. And how we respond to them defines our lives and forms us in to the men and women that the Lord knows we are.
He mentions the goliaths that Columbus, Joseph Smith and the Savior all faced . Then He says
"What is the significance of these accounts? Had there been no Ocean, there would have been no Columbus. No Jail and martyr, no Joseph, No Cross, no Christ."

Trials in our lives make us who we are. Either we can step up and seek to overcome or else we will be overcome.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this. I have been thinking a lot about this subject this very week and appreciated the link. Thanks for sharing! It's fun to get caught back up on your blog. I sort of forgot that you went private, so I just have to remember to check. I am so glad to know you! Thank you for your example!

RaQuelle Willey said...

Thanks for sharing :)

amy k said...

Wow. Thank you. I love the message that without Goliath David would not be the great man that he was. Hmmm. Sure makes me stop and think.
Thanks again. :)

Mk said...

Good talk...good reminder.

i think my goliath may be my fat cells.

it's possible i may already be overcome.

yikes.

Rebecca said...

awesome. thanks for the link, i don't think i have ever read that talk before so i'm excited to read it.

Rebecca said...

I read it and loved it so much. It is posted on "Talk of the Week" this week thanks to you! Check it out, this is such a great resource for inspirational talks: http://talkoftheweek.blogspot.com/2010/04/week-16-meeting-your-goliath.html