Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What's in a Name?

When we had Samantha we decided that we wanted our children's names to come from our ancestry so that we could teach them about the wonderful heritage that they have. Here are stories behind each of our children's names.

Samantha Elaine

Samantha Call Willey was Brian's Great Great Great Grandmother. She was married to Jeremiah Willey and together they were one of the first settlers of Bountiful Utah. She was a woman of great faith and dedication. Elaine is Katy's middle name and also her mother's middle name.

Olivia Grace

Olivia's due date was August 14th which was Katy's Grandmother's 92nd birthday. Grace Cary is a woman with lots of ambition and energy. One of my favorite stories about her was when she was in her 80's she would go down to the "old folks home" as she called it to feed the "old people". She would always say, "those people are too old to feed themselves. If I don't go down and help them, they'd starve to death!" She never lets her age slow her down. This August she will turn 94!


Anabelle Jerusha
Jerusha Barden Smith is Brian's 4th Great Grandmother. She was the first wife of Hyrum Smith (brother of the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr). Not much is known about her, but I can only imagine the type of woman she must have been to support her husband during the begining of the restoration of the gospel. She died in Kirtland Ohio after giving birth to thier 6th child. After naming Anabelle, we realized that they share the same birthdate. Jerusha was born Febuary 15th 1805.

4 comments:

Camille Phillips said...

I love that you've named your kids after family members. We've tried to do the same thing and I think it's great.

RaQuelle Willey said...

Love this entry! Its neat to know the background of all there names. Its also fun to see there baby pictures and compare!
I think there names truly do fit each one of them, so great job!

Reynolds Family said...

I love that! We also named our girls after their grandmothers. I think it's so neat for them to feel connected to their past. Not only do your girls have great stories to tell about their names, but the names themselves are beautiful!

Mk said...

beautiful names, beautiful girls:)