1. Too Hot. It doesn't cool off here at night. Trying to sleep when it is 80 degrees is miserable.
2. Too Wet. In order to miss Problem #1 you have to camp in the Spring or Fall otherwise known as the rainy season here.
3. Bugs. When you have to wear bug spray for a family walk around the neighborhood, the thought of staying out all night with these blood suckers is not appealing.
4. Location. The only place to camp is at a lake. After all there are no mountains here. This only increases problem #3
Inspite of all of that, we decided to go camping last weekend with some friends. We had a great time. The high was 85 the low was 73 and we had a nice strong breeze that kept it cool all night. The wind also kept the mosquitoes away; I wish I could say the same about the spiders. We had like 20 on the outside of our tent. I'm not exaggerating!
In order to secure a good campsite the ladies headed up with the kids around 2:00. We set up camp all by ourselves. The Dads arrived between 6 and 7. The kids enjoyed the lake. Dinner was amazing and fireworks over the lake made it a perfect night.
Check out our new tent in the background of this picture. It was awesome. Oh and please excuse the crazy hairdos. I worked really had on three "smocking" hairdos only to have all the rubberbands break from aerosol sunscreen. What is in that stuff anyway?
Jiffy Pop!
Marshmallows!
The next morning Brian had to leave early to make an 8:00 meeting at the church. He joked that he'd go camping every weekend. Since all he did was show up, take the kids to the lake, eat, and then left me to break camp. Truth be told though, I would do it again too. I am one of those girls who loves camping. I went to girls camp for 6 years. Then the year after High School I was called as an assistant leader. I went to girls camp when I was pregnant with Samantha and Olivia. Of course the trip with Olivia ended with me on bed rest for 6 weeks. Unfortunately problem #1 and #2 are back in full swing this weekend, so we wont be going again. Hopefully we'll get one more cool snap before unbearable July and August. If not then I guess we'll have to wait until September. Funny in CO (where I grew up) camping season starts about July and ends in September. Unless of course you're into the crazy winter camping thing.
PS Little A is still not walking. Crawling plus camping was a lot of fun. At least she didn't eat any rocks. I think I pulled a muscle carrying her all night.
3 comments:
I spent the last 1/2 hour updating myself on your life. I loved all your posts...ready for summer!! My girls both want to cut their hair and I keep telling Mia....don't you want to keep it long like Samantha? Now I will have no pull. It looks darling. Sounds like you guys have been busy having fun. Good for you.
Glad you had a better camping experience than we did :)
what a great time. I love camping too but need to do more of it with our kids. Your kids seem to love it
Post a Comment