Monday, May 25, 2009

Dillard's - My Nemisis

Okay so when I was a teenager I worked retail, and they taught me that if you upset one customer it is really like upsetting 10 because they will tell their friends who will also feel harmed by your bad customer service. Just to prove this is so I thought I would vent about my latest swimsuit purchase.

I have been bragging lately about my hot new swimsuit. I got it for my B-day. I loved the style because it was a modest 50s retro suit. It's modest yet in style. That isn't often the case. Well after wearing my suit for 2 occasions (suntanning), the detachable strap ripped. Repairable? Sure but only because of my Home Ec degree. It wasn't simple. And to try and make it look flawless, forget it. I spent way to much on this suit for it to fall apart so quickly.

This morning I headed over to Dillard's to return this obviously flawed suit. I had a receipt dated last weekend, the tags, the original bag, and a ripped suit. I thought all was well. I guess not.

Since I had removed the tags (kinda a requirement to wear it) I could not return the suit. I explained that the suit is ripped and was obviously defective. Then I was referred to the department manager. Who informed me the suit is not defective (are you blind?) because otherwise other people would have returned it, or she would have heard from the manufacturer. But since I was polite and insistent she said she would let me exchange the item for another one (no way it would just rip again and we would have to repeat this process) or something else in this same department. That is all well and good except I had already tried on every modest swimsuit in that store, and the only one I like I had bought the week before. I asked if I could get store credit. Isn't the same thing anyway? Apparently not. By now I'm getting irate, so I tell the manager this is unacceptable. The suit is obviously flawed, and can be returned to the manufacturer. With no head way I ask her how I can get in contact with a general manager. She says she'll be right back. Sigh.

Five minutes later (yeah right you talked to the store manager I've worked sales I know you just pretended) the department manager returns this is how our "discussion" ended.

DM - I will give store credit today, but don't EVER do this again.
ME - "No problem, I wont shop here again (DOH I have to I have this outrageous gift card!!!) This is ridiculous you can return the defective merchandise to the manufacturer."
DM - "The suit is still wearable without the strap"
ME- "I only bought it because it had the strap. I don't think it is very modest without it" (This mommy's not keeping that suit up by herself I nursed 3 babies for a year!)
DM- eye roll "well, I'll do it this one time, but never try this again"
ME - tears "I wont"

And I hope you wont either. The exact swimsuit is at several other locations .I could have bought it at a handful of places. But I chose Dillard's. Bad choice.
Whatever happened to companies that stand behind their products? Have you ever heard this story. Who knows if it is real, but the fact that Nordstroms claims it is, and is proud of it says a lot. I guess I will be shopping there from now on.

4 comments:

Anayansi said...

katy, i am so mad for you! i hate it when stuff like that happens. i almost bought that suit yesterday too! i am so glad that i didn't get it there. good luck.

Rebecca said...

I second what Anayansi said! That totally stinks!

Julie said...

Oh, that would be so frustrating!

RaQuelle Willey said...

That is why I HATE returning anything, what a nightmare. I always dread making returns. That's really too bad, bet it was super cute on ya!