I don't know which it is, turning 29 and feeling the looming 30s on their way, or celebrating our 1oth Anniversary, but all of the sudden I feel old. (I know you are all doing the math yes I was still 18 almost 19 when we got married.)
I remember when I was a cute little newlywed at Wymount. I had my cute husband, we took classes together. We'd stay up all night with friends playing The Farming Game. We were the typical googly eyed newlyweds (come on we've all been there). I was asked to VT a girl in our ward who had been married for 5 years. Whoa that's old I thought.
When I had my first baby I was a cute little pregnant girl. The one who hardly gains any weight, and looks super cute in all her clothes (I'm not saying this to brag, only for comparison). I had time to cross shop and got the biggest steal on my crib bedding.
When we moved into a new ward. With actual families, I remember having a hard time fitting in right away. I met a few families and I remember thinking, well how can we invite them over, they have so many kids (3 or 4). Where would they sit what would they do. They have to be in bed by 8 so there really isn't much time to play games. They always seemed so busy with all their after school activities. So I of course made friends with people just like me 1 kid. We'd go to the park, or the pool. We'd put our babies to sleep in pack n plays and stay up all night playing Settlers of Catan or Hand and Foot.
Now I live in a ward with a lot of great friends, but every once in a while I realize that I am no longer the cute little family who can stay up all night. In fact I am that family who has been married "forever" with lots of kids who need to go to bed at 8. I have to drive them to dance and preschool. I'm yawning at 9:30p.m. (a.m. too). Somehow in 4 years I became that family that I always thought was old. Now when I meet cute little newlyweds, with their first baby on the way. I know what they are thinking. Whoa you're old.
6 comments:
I can definitely relate to this!! So funny. You and Brian were definitely cute newlyweds in Wymount!
hahaha. So true. I remember when we first moved into Wymount and I would ask how long someone was married and they said "2 years" I was like "wow! that is so long. you must know everything about marriage!" HA! I wonder how many kids/years it will take for me to know everything about this whole parenting/marriage stuff. I'm thinking 100...
What. We totally own The Farming Game. Let's start on Saturday at like... 2, and then we could have a game done by 8 when the kids have to be in bed. :)
Naturally, we also have Settlers (as well as Cities and Knights). We're gamers. Old people with three kids, yes, but gamers none the less.
And I also remember-in our first married ward, the people across the street had been married 5 years. FIVE YEARS! That's massive! Now we're on 7 and it seems like nothing. I keep wondering when do I start feeling like a real adult...?
Katy you are too funny!
The flip side of it is, you have become "that family" that my husband and I look at and want to be like when we're "old, with 3 kids" (you said it, not me). :)
But really and truly, we love your family and appreciate so much the example you set for us. You and Brian are a great reminder to us of a supportive marriage and we would love to have adorable girls as well!
love this post, i feel the same way! and as your sister in law- I can truley say even if your 29 you don't look it, and you still look as skinny as ever before, during, and after pregnancy (hate you for that one ;)
and I bet those newlyweds really say, "wow, she looks amazing for having 3 girls and aren't those girls the cutest kids ever!
hmm, i am feeling a night of settlers and guac? i will make the guac, you buy the chips? that will make us young again?
Post a Comment